Music Therapist: The New London Visual and Performing Arts Magnet School at Bennie Dover Middle School, New London, CT
Music Therapist will report to Director of Culture and Climate K-12.
This is a 3 day a week (18 hours) position, funded by Michael Bolton Charities (MBC), for a music therapist in an arts magnet middle school in New London, CT. The music therapist meets with individuals and small groups to work on social emotional goals, such as self awareness and expression, self-regulation, relationship skills, empowerment and initiative. This program will be a second site for the The MBC’s “Beyond Trauma-Youth Music Therapy” program. The initiative was created to serve students exposed to domestic violence and all forms of trauma.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide individual and small group music therapy sessions for middle school students.
- Recruit, assess, and develop appropriate goals for students for music therapy sessions.
- Write notes and evaluate progress of program.
- Communicate with staff and participate in staff meetings.
- Order and maintain instruments.
- Board Certified Music Therapist
- At least 5 years experience working as a music therapist
- At least 3 years working as a music therapist with adolescents
- Experience in improvisation with individuals and small groups
- Experience working with trauma
- Advanced skills in guitar or piano
- Able to give basic lessons in guitar and piano
- Experience facilitating songwriting/writing raps in music therapy sessions
- Experience with Garageband or similar software, either current or willing to learn.
Send resume and cover letter to Cyd Slotoroff, MT-BC, Music Therapist for MBC “Beyond Trauma-Youth Music Therapy Program” New Haven site.
email@example.com please put ‘music therapy job’ in subject line