Are you a clinician who is passionate about seeing music spark a positive change in others? Are you a creative, out-of the-box thinker, who finds joy in watching people grow through music? Do you thrive off of having a variety of cases to plan music therapy for? If so, Infinity is looking for you! We have an opening for a per diem music therapist.
*You deserve the honest truth about a position. We welcome any and all questions related to work responsibilities, pay, benefits, workplace culture. Please do not hesitate to contact Jona Jeffcoat, MT-BC, Director of Services at (860) 518-5557 or firstname.lastname@example.org any questions regarding this position.*
This position is a per diem position and hours may range from 0-40 hours each week. As a per diem music therapist, you will have opportunities to cover cases during therapist absent/ illness, therapist vacations, short term cases unable to be covered by our clinical staff, and overflow assignments. You may have weeks where you are taking a break from Infinity and weeks where you are working full-time while a therapist is engaging in well-deserved self-care. This position offers flexibility. You may choose to accept cases based upon your availability on any given week. With that being said, we are looking for someone who is able to cover cases on a reliable basis.
This position has an open start date. This position will include daytime, afternoon, and evening hours based upon the needs of our clients. You may be asked to cover sessions during any day of the week. You choose the cases that work with your schedule. The vast majority of our clients request services between at night during the week or on on the weekends. Days will vary in length.
Our team currently serves the entire state of Connecticut. You may be asked to cover cases in various regions of Connecticut. Your sessions may include sessions in one of our clinics, private homes, schools, nursing home, rehabilitation facilities, and more.
Infinity works on a team-based model. We believe in coming together to make agency decisions, collaborate on cases, participate in team-trainings, and engage in self-care. As a per diem staff member, we will look for opportunities for you to shadow each of our clinicians. During known absences, we will look for opportunities for you to co-treat on cases. You will receive a treatment plan in advance for sessions you will cover during a planned therapist absence, so you can ensure continuity of services. A supervisor is always on call, so you will never handle tough decisions alone.
Following a training period at an hourly rate, you will be transitioned to a pay per visit schedule. Our pay rate for sessions encompasses travel time, planning time, and documentation time. You will receive pay for any session you conduct. Your rate of pay will be provided in an offer letter.
As a member of our team, you will be expected to provide individual and group music therapy sessions to children and adults diagnosed with developmental disabilities, mental health disorders, neurological needs, wellness needs, etc. You will be expected to maintain data and communicate with the members of our team regarding client performance. You may be asked intermittently to write a treatment plan in the event that you start a case while a therapist is adjusting their schedule. In the event that you will be conducting sessions for an extended period of time (ex. during a therapist maternity leave or medical absence), you will participate in treatment team meetings, write clinical reports, and assist with other events. In addition, you may be asked to fulfill non-clinical responsibilities such as teaching music lessons or providing music enrichment groups.
The biggest populations served at Infinity include children diagnosed with Autism, Down Syndrome, and communication disorders, children in foster care with and without a mental health diagnosis, and adults with developmental disabilities within a group home or day program setting. Our services are spread out between being in clinic, in home, in school (including IEP services), and in group home settings. We also receive referrals for adults in memory care settings, drug and alcohol rehab, children and adults with problem sexual behaviors, and individuals without a diagnosis looking for music enrichment/ music lessons. Our sessions are evenly divided between group and individual settings.
We are proud to offer our per diem staff a variety of benefits including:
- Professional liability insurance (at hire)
- Comprehensive lending library of materials including guitars, drums, tambourines, shakers, ukuleles, boomwhackers, jingle bells, rhythm sticks, books, scarves, and so much more (at hire)
- Access to group rates for AFLAC (after 90 days of employment)
- Group and individual supervision (at hire)
- CBMT Maintenance Fees (after 90 days of employment)
- CMTE tracking assistance (at hire)
- Office and art supplies to create visuals (at hire)
- Free coffee/ tea at our clinic (at hire-sometimes it’s the little things!)
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance
We believe we are the future of healthcare and we’d love for you to be part of that journey. Here are some of our team’s accomplishments:
- Only practice in the state of CT offering Music Therapy Assisted Childbirth (MTACB) and Music Therapy Creative Arts Birth Education (MTCAB)
- Featured on NBC CT
- Featured on Forget Dis’ Podcast, The Record Journal (newspaper), The Day (newspaper), MusicTherapyEd.com, and Your Mind Matters Radio Show
- Presented as a team on self-care in the workplace at the NERAMTA Conference
- Our team presents 15+ times a year at the local and national level regarding the applications of music in healthcare
- Our Director of Services has 3 CMTE courses through the Spiegal Academy
- We have supported 20 interns through 3 different internship/ field study programs
- You have experience working with children and adults with developmental disabilities.
- You love getting feedback (how else do we grow?).
- You have experience working in mental health settings.
- You are confident in your music skills and counseling skills.
- A full inbox is a nightmare! You are quick to respond to emails, texts, and phone calls.
- You are comfortable commuting to your sessions and you have reliable transportation.
- You have flexibility in your schedule.
- You can effectively communicate in written and spoken English.
- You are a flexible, go with the flow type of person.
- You are confident in your skills to work independently.
- You are comfortable using sign language within music therapy.
- You have experience teaching adaptive music lessons.
- You speak Spanish.
- You have been trained in music therapy assisted childbirth or are interested in pursuing the training.
- You have a sense of humor.
- You understand the nature of private practice.
- The thought of asking a question to a supervisor makes you nervous.
- You are not comfortable with traveling to your appointments.
- You are not willing to commit to a minimum of a year of service. (We need someone to grow with us that we can help support professionally and who wants to make a strong difference in our clients’ lives.)
- You are disorganized.
- You are looking for consistent hours or a consistent schedule.
- You are not willing to work at least 5hrs/ month
To be considered for this position, please submit the following information to Jona Jeffcoat, MT-BC, Director of Services at . Questions regarding the position can also be directed to the same email account or you can contact her at .
- Cover Letter: Please include why you think you would be good fit with our practice, your available start date, and what populations you are comfortable serving
- Current Resume: include information about the clientele you have served at any sites you have worked at
- A paragraph of what you expect from a supervisor
- A typed sample 45-min session plan for an 8-year-old with Autism who loves Disney with a focus on verbal communication skills. Please include two (2) goals with two (2) objectives each.
- A typed sample 45-min session plan for a group of 15-year old adolescents in therapy for anger management. Please include two (2) goals with two (2) objectives each.
- A video demonstrating your vocal and guitar skills.