ADAPTIVE PIANO TEACHER
The Opportunity. The Winchester Community Music School is looking for a caring, talented, creative, and motivated piano teacher to join our faculty beginning in September 2023. We seek a positive, energetic, and experienced individual who has a passion for working with children and adult amateurs that may demonstrate learning differences or special learning needs.
Piano faculty members report to the Chair of the Piano Dept. This position is ideally for a Friday afternoon (approx. 3 -7 PM) or on a Saturday starting in the fall semester (the semester begins the week of September 11, 2023). The exact hours will be determined based on student interest and enrollment. WCMS operates in two 16-week semesters during the academic year and offers an optional summer semester from late June through July. Part-time, exempt – paid hourly.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
(The following are representative examples of the principal tasks to be accomplished but are not considered to be all-inclusive.)
- Provide a professional, warm, and enthusiastic learning environment to all students.
- Maintain knowledge of appropriate pedagogical methods and repertoire for various ability levels and learning styles.
- Communicate with students and family members about progress and goals through semester progress reports and as needed.
- Commit to a consistent teaching schedule and maintain regularity with lessons with limited interruptions or absences.
- Encourage and offer student performance opportunities within the studio and at WCMS.
- Maintain knowledge about musical opportunities and offerings at WCMS and externally to enhance the student experience.
- Demonstrate a commitment to collaborating with faculty colleagues through performances and musical events.
- Communicate with faculty colleagues and administrative staff in a positive and professional manner.
- Submit attendance, progress reports, and other administrative requests on time according to pre-determined deadlines.
Qualiﬁcations. The successful candidate must have a music degree or significant and equivalent professional experience; a bachelor’s degree or higher is preferred. Candidate must have a minimum of three years of piano teaching experience with experience in working with students with learning differences. The candidate must have demonstrated student learning orientation for various levels of ability, possess a good-natured personality and be a people person, and be an effective communicator with students, parents, faculty, and staff. Must have reliable transportation (WCMS is not easily accessible by public transportation), and a professional appearance.
Compensation and Benefits.
Salary. $48/hour for private lesson instruction
Benefits. Paid sick time, paid studio recitals, paid performance opportunities, paid faculty meetings, access to 403b tax-deferred annuity retirement savings plan through TIAA, 25% tuition discount on WCMS activities for employee and immediate family members, free employee assistance plan, subsidized health insurance for faculty with 20+ hours of weekly teaching, faculty professional development grants, access to voluntary benefits of vision, life, and accident insurance, many non-cash benefits.
How to apply. Please email the cover letter and résumé to the attention of Dr. Miriam Conti Vanoni Faculty Chair – Piano Department at email@example.com. Qualified candidates will be contacted regarding an interview. No phone calls, please. WCMS is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity and inclusion. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position