POSITION SUMMARY: Esperanza Academy, an independent middle school for girls from
Lawrence, Massachusetts, seeks a creative, highly motivated Music Therapist who can support
student social emotional needs and reduce the impact of adverse childhood experiences (ACEs)
through culturally responsive and community centered music therapy. The Music Therapist reports
to the Principal. This is a full time, year round position for a board certified music therapist.
ABOUT ESPERANZA ACADEMY: At Esperanza Academy, we are fortunate to serve our
students, their families, and the community of Lawrence. We are a tuition-free independent middle
school with a 12-year commitment to our students because we believe that everyone deserves a
high-quality independent school education. Our school is a revolutionary antidote to racism; we, as
an academic community, emphasize racial and cultural identity affirmation, love of community, and
restorative justice. By creating a culture of achievement in which academic success and self-discovery
are paramount, we protect and nurture the innate confidence that each of our girls possesses.
● Provide individual music therapy interventions with students and alumnae during the school
● Lead student and parent/guardian music therapy groups.
● Lead community music therapy programming with students during Chapel service.
● Utilize music to build community and therapeutic rapport by:
– Incorporating music throughout school events (such as camp lawrence, community
morning meeting) transitions, and daily routines
– Co lead community building period in collaboration with Restorative justice
● Lead student and family support team meetings
● Communicate and collaborate with parents/guardians to develop music therapy goals and
interventions that support student needs
● Maintain appropriate documentation on student progress.
● Adhere to the code of ethics and standards of practice as set forth by the American Music
Therapy Association and the Certification Board for Music Therapists, maintaining patient
confidentiality and sensitivity to all issues encountered with students.
● Follow school and state protocol as a mandated reporter with the support of the school
● Collaborate with community partners to enhance music therapy program and broaden
opportunities for students
● Collaborate effectively with teachers and administrators to ensure program delivery is
addressing identified needs.
● Maintain the proper storage for music therapy tools, as well as continually evaluate and
monitor the physical condition of the instruments
● Other duties as assigned by the Principal.
● Graduated from an American Music Therapy Association approved university, acquiring a
bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Music Therapy
● Board Certified
● 3+ years of experience required
● Ability to work effectively with a culturally diverse population
● An understanding, experience, and knowledge of working with a variety of music therapy
techniques and practices. Experience with implementing community music therapy is
● The ability to easily adapt to situations and provide trauma informed therapeutic support
● The capacity to identify a students needs and situation, to in turns present information about
music therapy clearly and appropriately
● Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
● Previous experience working with middle school students is preferred
● Bilingual/fluent in Spanish
COMPENSATION: Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience. Esperanza
Academy offers an attractive benefits package to those who qualify including 403(b), medical, dental,
life, and disability insurance, and a comprehensive professional development program. Breakfast,
lunch, and two snacks provided free to employees and students by our kitchen staff.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter specifically detailing your qualifications for the position, a
resume, and contact information for three professional references to Jadi Taveras, Head of School,
Non-Discrimination Policy: Esperanza is committed to a diverse and inclusive community with respect to race,
national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, family status, economic circumstance, age, and physical disability in
its student body, faculty and staff. Esperanza Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and
ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admission policies, and athletic and other school-administered
programs. Esperanza Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.